build a static python executable on linux?

Alexandre Gillet gillet at scripps.edu
Mon Sep 29 18:42:34 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to build a python interpreter that is static link.
My python interpreter was build on RedHat 8.0 using gcc 2.3 and GLIBC 2.3
When running on other linux flavor that still have GLIBC 2.2, the
interpreter won't start. (error message:  /lib/libc.so.6: version
`GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /mgl/python/i86Linux2/bin/python2.3)

Is there a way to build a static python interpreter using gcc 2.3 that
can run on any machine and won't need a shared library at runtime?

I want to be able to build my interpreter on my redhat machine and
distribute my executable that can then be run on other machine without
having to worry about the version of glibc.

Thanks for any help or idea in advances.

Alex
gillet at scripps.edu