[Python-Dev] Making python C-API thread safe (try 2)

Mitch Chapman mitchchapman at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 10:07:35 EDT 2003

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:56:55 +0300,
> 	Harri Pesonen <fuerte at sci.fi> wrote:
> On the other hand, considering that the last free threading packages were
> for 1.4, and no one has bothered to update them, the community doesn't seem
> to find the subject as important as you do. :)
>
> --amk

At IPC8 Greg Wilson, then of the Software Carpentry project,
noted that the GIL made it hard to write multi-threaded Python
apps which could take advantage of multi-processor systems.  He
argued that this would limit Python's appeal in some segments of
the scientific community.

Perhaps those who find the subject important have left the
community?  Perhaps they've adopted kludgey workarounds?

In my company the GIL has meant that some performance problems,
which could most easily be addressed by multiple threads
sharing access to large collections of Python objects, have
been deferred.

--
Mitch