[Python-Dev] Making python C-API thread safe (try 2)

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Sep 12 07:40:48 EDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:56:55 +0300,
	Harri Pesonen <fuerte at sci.fi> wrote:
> I don't know, I got mail about writing a PEP. It is clear that it would
> not be accepted, because it would break the existing API. The change is
> so big that I think that it has to be called a different language.

It would just be a different implementation of the same language.  Jython
has different garbage collection characteristics from CPython, but they
still implement the same language; Stackless Python is still Python.

> because this is too important to be ignored. Python *needs* to be
> free-threading...

On the other hand, considering that the last free threading packages were
for 1.4, and no one has bothered to update them, the community doesn't seem
to find the subject as important as you do. :)

--amk