RAD with Python

vivek at cs.unipune.ernet.in vivek at cs.unipune.ernet.in
Fri Sep 12 09:39:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:09:02AM -0700, Ubaidullah Nubar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How well is Python suited for developing database based applications?

U will find python interfaces for almost all mainly used databases.
And as the nature of Python it is very easy to interact with databases
in Python.

> I am new to Python so please bear with me if some of the questions are
> too simple. I specifically have the following questions:
>

> 2. There seem to be a number of GUI frameworks available? Which one is
> good for use on Windows and Linux?

If u are new to Python and have no previous experience with C++ then
I think Tkinter is the best place to start. If you are comfortable
with C++ then u can use wxPython. (Actually there is no seperate
documentation for wxPython, it a wrapper around the wxWindows library)

> 3. Can Python apps be compiled to an exe? Can the resulting executable
> be distributed commercially?

Yes, using McMillan and py2exe.

> 4. What types of applications are not suitable to be written in
> Python?

System side softwares