RAD with Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 12 12:06:29 EDT 2003

"Ubaidullah Nubar" <ubaidullahnubar at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:17d520f6.0309120509.491e4d7c at posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> How well is Python suited for developing database based
applications?
> I am new to Python so please bear with me if some of the questions
are
> too simple. I specifically have the following questions:
>
> 1. Is there an example of a simple data-entry application written in
> Python using a GUI interface? Something like a simple address book
app
> with a listbox displaying all addresses with the ability to
> add/modify/delete.

I hope someone else answers this.

> 2. There seem to be a number of GUI frameworks available? Which one
is
> good for use on Windows and Linux?

Most people prefer the one they use.  No surprise.  Use google to find

> 3. Can Python apps be compiled to an exe?

No, Python code cannot currently be compiled to a native code .exe in
the way you probably mean.  Yes, Python bytecode (including included
modules) can be combined with a copy of the interpreter in a
distributable .exe,  Googling 'Python executable' perhaps with
'McMillan' (spelling?) should get you previous posts with links.

> Can the resulting executable be distributed commercially?

Yes.

> 4. What types of applications are not suitable to be written in
Python?

Hmmm.

Terry J. Reedy