method (a, b = '', *c, **d): gets a syntax error?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Sep 1 07:21:31 EDT 2003

Andreas Neudecker <a.neudecker at uni-bonn.de> writes:

[comma inconsistencies]

> Still it puzzles me that in one case it is okay in the other one
> not. Seems unlogical to me. Can anyone enlighten me to why this is so?

Because that's what the grammar says.  The chances of this being
deliberate are, I would hazard, pretty tiny.

> Thanks to all of you who bothered to point me to my stupid error of
> forgetting the 'def' and discussing with me the comma problem.

If it's any consolation, it took quite a bit of staring at it before I
noticed the flaw...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I located the link but haven't bothered to re-read the article,
  preferring to post nonsense to usenet before checking my facts.