Download to client from a cgi script?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 21 16:30:52 EDT 2003

Øystein Johansen <oystein at gnubg.org> writes:
[...]
> How can I make the browser downlaod a cgi script from
> /cgi-bin/. Obviously I can't make a link to it with
> <a=href="/cgi-bin/script.cgi>, since tha script will be executed then.
>
> I see how Lutz in PP2E prints the script on the screen, but I want the
> user to get the "save file" message box?

Don't put it in the cgi-bin?  There will be other ways, too, all of
which are entirely dependent on your web server and its configuration.
Anything regarded by your server as a cgi-script *shouldn't* be
downloadable, because that would risk security problems.  Some servers
will always regard anything ending in ".cgi" or ".py" or whatever as
CGI scripts, some will regard anything in a particular directory as
CGI scripts, some will do other things.

> Same thing. What about a binary file? Printing a binary file with
> getfile.cgi from PP2E is just silly. The surfer must be promped to
> save. So, what I want is a script like getfile.cgi, that downloads
> insted of prints the file.

I don't understand any of this paragraph.

> (Maybe this is more a HTTP/HTML question than a Python question...)

None of the above: entirely a web server question.

John