Writing solid code book

Jeremy Dillworth jwdillworth at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 09:03:16 EDT 2003

It does use C for its examples, but I think many of the
principles would still apply to Python.

Some, like "crashing early" happen as a side-effect of
using Python.  Python's exceptions accomplish this nicely.
Crashing in the face of absurd circumstances rather than
trying to recover or ignore them.  I wish Perl had this,
I once had a Perl script eat a few hundred files I was
trying to have it rewrite.  A server had run out of disk
space, and since I didn't say "close FILE or die", the
close silently failed to write the file...
a few hundred times.

The author *is* an ex-MS guy.  There are commments in the
book to the effect that the practices therein represent the
ideal at Microsoft, not the reality.

Good book.