Comments on Python Redesign

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 7 14:29:09 EDT 2003

To the extent that my comments were misdirected and/or unwarrented, I
retract and/or apologize.

I did not notice that the demo fromt page is merely a dead image.  I
was mislead by the word 'mock-up'.  To me, a mock-up page would have
real html, even if filled with dummy text and stub links.  While a
mock-up airplane does not fly , it is a real 3-d object, not an image.
In any case, the page looks enough like many live pages I have visited
(usually corporation front pages) that I was fooled.

The comments page *is* live, not an image.  It was also unusually
painful and difficult for me to read.

I usually don't care too much what people do with their pages.  If I
can't read it, I move on to one of the millions of others vying for my
attention.  However, python.org is one I visit a lot (top 5, surely)
and I really care about being able to continue reading it.

Perhaps Python needs two front pages or even two sites.  One for the
IT manager types that you seem to be aiming at, who would be impressed
by the corporate look that tends to depress me, and one for
programmers just looking for info.  The current site, perhaps with
more tweeks, is pretty good for the latter but not, I would agree, for
the former.

Terry J. Reedy