python script as an emergency mailbox cleaner

James Kew james.kew at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 20 18:09:49 EDT 2003

"Phil Weldon" <pweldon at mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:ZCZab.45450$Aq2.39773 at newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> My guess is that the internet will not open on Monday.

Yeah, well, death of the Internet's been predicted many times before and
hasn't happened yet.

F-Secure's writeup is pretty good at describing the various attacks and
texts the worm uses:
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml

FWIW, for me Bayesian filtering is doing a pretty good job on both the fake
security advisories and the fake bounce messages. (Somewhat ashamedly, I'll
admit to using POPFile (Perl) rather than the SpamBayes (Python) -- as a
POP3 proxy solution it seemed slightly slicker at the time...)

James