Comments on Python Redesign

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Sep 8 11:02:36 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Could someone remind me what need there is for a redesign in the first
> place?  Of all the Python-related efforts that one could put time into,
> this seems like one of the least useful.

I guess (I may be wrong) that Tim Parkin is not a developer, but
apparently he has experience with web design. For some reason he chose
to volunteer for proposing a redesign of the Python homepage (foolishly
so, he might think by now). There's hardly any point in you telling him
what to spend his time on for free, is there? :-/

Generally, in the open source community there's no point in telling
people what they should do. Of those that are involved with open source
in their spare time, everybody contributes to what are her or his
priorities, according to their skills. Many of these projects might be a
waste of time, but neither of your time nor mine :-)

I dislike the connotation that web design (or writing documentation)
would be less valuable than more technical contributions to Python.

-- Gerhard