Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

David Rush drush at aol.net
Sat Oct 4 08:11:49 EDT 2003

On 03 Oct 2003 14:44:36 +0300, Toni Nikkanen <toni at tuug.fi> wrote:
> It's be interesting to know where people got the idea of learning
> Scheme/LISP from (apart from compulsory university courses)?

Emacs. I've noticed over the years that people don't really get Emacs
religion until they've started hacking elisp. I know that the frustration
of having almost-but-not-quite the behavior I wanted on top of having all
that source code was a powerful incentive for me to learn Lisp. Of course
my apreciation of Emacs only increased as I went...

The thing that sealed it for me was re-programming SCWM's behavior so that
I could use X w/no mouse &cet. That got me hooked on Scheme (I had been
hacking SML at roughly the same time while looking for the foundations of
OOP), which was really just about perfect semantically.

david rush
--
(\x.(x x) \x.(x x)) -> (s i i (s i i))
        -- aki helin (on comp.lang.scheme)