pyuic AttributeError in RedHat 9

Dave shuvit at 127.0.0.1
Mon Oct 27 19:46:16 EST 2003

In case anyone is following this thread, I found the solution to the
QPixmap.fromMimeSource Attribute error.  The missing attributes are
available in a later version of PyQt.  Here is what I did to fix the setup
in Redhat 9:

To review, if you try to use Qt Designer with Python in Redhat 9, and you
see an error like this when trying to run a file compiled by pyuic:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "food.py", line 34, in ?

    win = MainWindow()

  File "mainwindow.py", line 22, in __init__

    self.fileNewAction.setIconSet(QIconSet(QPixmap.fromMimeSource("")))

AttributeError: fromMimeSource

The problem is PyQt-3.5-5 distributed with Redhat 9 does not support
qt-designer-3.1.1-6 which also comes with Redhat 9.  To fix this, you need
to update the following packages:

Uninstall:

rpm -e sip-devel

rpm -e PyQt-devel

rpm -e PyQt

Install:

rpm -Uvh qscintilla-1.53-0.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh sip-3.7-1.20030811.0.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh PyQt-3.7-1.i386.rpm

The new packages are available on Sourceforge at

Qt and Python are a dynamite combination!!  The new IDE in Python2.3 really
rocks!!

Redhat 9 sucks.  I'm installing Debian tomorrow.

-- Dave