IDE Python

SM stani_ at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 11:59:03 EDT 2003

Hello,
I'm the developper of spe (thanks brian for bringing this thread under
my attention). Let me reply...

Harri Pesonen <fuerte at sci.fi> wrote in message news:<zj0fb.251$TG1.241 at reader1.news.jippii.net>...
> Bryan wrote:
> > Harri Pesonen wrote:

> > would you consider SPE as having intellisense?
> > http://spe.pycs.net/
> >
> > i've been using this editor for about a week now and i'm very impressed.
>
> It is much better, but seems to be a bit buggy. The first thing I tried is
>
> re.
>
> which opens a list of re attributes, fine, but when I hit "c" for
> "compile", the list just closes.
This bug is strange and shouldn't happen. When I have time I'll have a
look at it.

> When I write
>
> string.
>
> the list opens and when I press "c" the list scrolls to "capitalize" as
> expected. Also when I complete it and press (, it shows the doc string,
> great.
>
> Still it does not understand that "asdf" is a string so
>
> "asdf".
>
> should show string methods. Also if I write
>
> reo = re.compile(r"#define\s+Py_None.*\n")
>
> it should know that reo is a regular expression object. It should try at
> least. :-)
This is very hard to implement because it means evaluating a program
on the fly, which is problematic especially for time consuming code.
So the problem is bigger than just a sandbox issue. However in spe
there is a (minor) workaround: if you type the code "reo=..." in the
shell it will treat reo as well in the editor window as a regular
expression.

> Simpler example:
>
> string.upper().
>
> and it shows nothing.
For me this works however.

> There are some real problems as well, the Shell window does not paint
> correctly always.
The shell window is a pycrust plugin, on which I'm not coding.

> Overall, buggy but promising.
Patches are always welcome ;-) I always try to fix any bug which is
not part of external plugins (as PyCrust, kiki, wxGlade,...) External
bugs should be filed to the specific authors.

A few words about spe's autocompletion.  It takes the word left from a
"." (all characters, including _ and .), than it tries to evaluate
that object and uses the dir function to form the list.  Of course
there should be better solutions. I'm not working on this issue at the
moment, other things have my priority now. But spe is often extended
by user contributions, so if someone can write a good autocompletion
code I'll be happy to implement it. The auto-completion code of spe is
located in the file sm/wxPyEdit.py in the char event for '.' It's easy
to study this code and to improve it. So any volunteers?

Stani