GUI-based build system

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 13:30:16 EST 2003

Hi,

Does anyone know whether there is any generic GUI-based build system
around? (Python-based would be great. Also, for now I am only looking
for Windows OS.) By "build system" I mean something similar the
"make/makefile" system, but somewhat more
generic/powerful/flexible/higher-level/etc, so that if you have a
sequence (maybe even some simple conditional branches and loops) of
system tasks to perform, you can more easily visualize the steps, and
perhaps resume from some middle point. If it has e-mail capability to
send out final status, even better. :) If it can work both
interactively and a an fire-and-forget stand-alone, even better. :)

(I don't mind writing simple wrappers to each individual tasks to
produce standardized responses for the build system.)

My guess is that there are many utilities like that out there already.
Another guess is that some of them use XML for task specification. One
more guess is that some of them are free. But, I could be wrong. :)

thanks,

Hung Jung