GUI-based build system

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Oct 29 13:36:28 EST 2003

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> Does anyone know whether there is any generic GUI-based build system
> around? (Python-based would be great. Also, for now I am only looking
> for Windows OS.) By "build system" I mean something similar the
> "make/makefile" system, but somewhat more
> generic/powerful/flexible/higher-level/etc, so that if you have a
> sequence (maybe even some simple conditional branches and loops) of
> system tasks to perform, you can more easily visualize the steps, and
> perhaps resume from some middle point. If it has e-mail capability to
> send out final status, even better. :) If it can work both
> interactively and a an fire-and-forget stand-alone, even better. :)
>
> (I don't mind writing simple wrappers to each individual tasks to
> produce standardized responses for the build system.)
>
> My guess is that there are many utilities like that out there already.
> Another guess is that some of them use XML for task specification. One
> more guess is that some of them are free. But, I could be wrong. :)

I have another guess, and that is that given the activity in both the
A-A-P and Scons projects, these likely-to-exist GUI systems would be
relatively primitive in comparison and would be unsatisfactory as a
result.

Perhaps a better approach would be to see if a GUI could easily be
added to either of the above systems?

(And no, sorry, I haven't heard of any GUI version of this stuff.
I'm also unconvinced of the use case: either of the above allow Python
code to be written to implement the logic required, and if you need
a GUI to visualize the steps more easily than reading Python code
would allow, you're already in trouble with the tortuous nature of
the logic in question, IMHO. :-) )

-Peter