best GUI toolkit for python: tkinter, wxPython or what?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 31 06:43:44 EST 2003

Tim Ronning wrote:
> "eric3 is a full featured Python IDE that is written in PyQt using the
> QScintilla editor widget. For information on PyQt and QScintilla please
> see Riverbank Computing. Please note, that eric3 needs PyQt 3.6 or newer
> and QScintilla 1.0 or newer.
> Note: In order to use eric3 under Win... operating systems you need a
> commercial or educational license of Qt 3.x from Trolltech and the
> corresponding license of PyQt (which includes QScintilla) from Riverbank.
> "
>
> link: http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html
>
> So I guess windooze should be ok. OS X ?

...IF you have the required commercial or educational license, yes --
the quoted text seems to be extremely clear in that regard.

Educational licenses need to be requested by an accredited educational
institution, I believe.  The cheapest way to get commercial licenses
used to be by purchasing Blackadder from theKompany and I doubt that's
changed (even though BA is now formally out of its long beta so that
the prices have gone up a bit, still I don't think you can get as cheap
as $70 for a personal-use license from Trolltech + Riverbank).

Alex