approx 100 assorted computer/ math/other books

Joona I Palaste palaste at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Oct 22 17:00:48 EDT 2003

Roedy Green <roedy at seewebsite.com> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.c:
> On 22 Oct 2003 20:08:04 GMT, Joona I Palaste <palaste at cc.helsinki.fi>
> wrote or quoted :
>>Are you referring to CBFalconer's quoting of Phil...? Here it is in its
>>entirety:

> neither.  I waited for an opportunity to vent on this without picking
> on a specific culprit.  The practice of mindless quoting is
> widespread.

You should have said this when replying to CBFalconer. On Usenet, the
addressee of a reply to a post is the author of that post, if not stated
otherwise.

> I believe you should only quote the bare minimum.  Just quote what you
> are commenting on.  Just quote the bare minimum to set the context for
> your post.  If someone wants to study the original post, they can hit
> up arrow.  Rereading and rereading previously posted material should
> be the exception, not the rule.

> But the posts that are most annoying are the ones that make you scroll
> down and down and down to discover they are nothing but fluff.
> Wisecracks SHOULD be top posted.

I still disagree. NOTHING should be top posted. If you find yourself
making the "but I don't want to scroll down" argument, then you're
quoting too much. Quoting less solves TWO problems: (1) you don't
have to top-post, and (2) you don't have to read pages and pages and
pages of quoted material.
I agree with you that there is too much mindless quoting, but you are
going the wrong way to get around it.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste at cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\
"Normal is what everyone else is, and you're not."