PEP 289: Generator Expressions (please comment)

Holger Krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri Oct 24 07:04:42 EDT 2003

Ville Vainio wrote:
> Holger Krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:
>
> > At least I hope that generator expressions will only be introduced
> > via a __future__ statement in Python 2.4 much like it happened with
>
> Why? Does it break backwards compatibility somehow?

OK ok. Probably only backwards readability :-)

> As far as readability goes, genexps seem to be pretty much as
> readable/unreadable as list comprehensions.

Yes, i don't like those much, either.  But then i am one of this strange
minority which likes map, filter, lambda and passing functions/callables all
around.

But actually generators i do appreciate a lot so i'll probably not only
get used to generator expressions but will enjoy them (more than list
comprehensions at least, i guess).

cheers,

    holger