teaching programming to children

Lee Doolan leed_25 at lycos.com
Thu Oct 16 18:24:22 EDT 2003

>>>>> "andy" == andy  <andy at post.tau.ac.il> writes:

    andy> A young friend of me (12 years old) has asked me to teach
    andy> him programming (after I shortly described my programming
    andy> job as telling the computer what to do and not the other way
    andy> arround). I choose python because I personally like it but I
    andy> was wondering to what extent is it appropriate for this
    andy> task.

    andy> a) Its interpreter is very nice but it hides some basic
    andy> truths about computers.  Namely, the need to compile and the
    andy> differences between the languages of humans and languages of
    andy> computers.

    andy> b) Most simple tasks can be achieved so easily that "there's
    andy> nothing to learn".  What do you think would be our first
    andy> programming assignments? And what language constructs should
    andy> we start with?

    andy> c) Should we run to "cool" things (GUI, networking, other
    andy> proposals?) or should we first make a good hold of
    andy> "algorithms" (which in my opinion is at the heart of
    andy> programming).

    andy> I would be gratefull if people who had a similar experience
    andy> would told me about it. Or if someone could refer me to
    andy> sources and articles.

    andy> thanks...

    andy> ----------------------------------------------------------------
    andy> This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging
    andy> Program.

,----[ http://www.squeak.org/ ]
| The core team behind Squeak includes Dan Ingalls, Alan Kay, Ted
| Kaehler, John Maloney, and Scott Wallace. All of this has attracted
| many of the best and most experienced Smalltalk programmers and
| implementers in the world."
`----

The Squeak source code is available although I'm not sure of the
license details.

--
no toll on the internet; there are paths of many kinds;
whoever passes this portal will travel freely in the world