best GUI toolkit for python: tkinter, wxPython or what?

Simon Foster simon at uggs.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 11:38:05 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:56:31 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>Leo wrote:
>
>> for somebody who wants tostart small/medium GUI apps with python:
>>
>> what's the best toolkit: tkinter, wxPython or what? stability, ease of use
>> and portability between mac and windows are the main criteria.
>
>Portability is fine with all the main xplatform toolkits afaik, so NP there.
>
>In terms of ease of use and stability it's hard to beat tkinter, which
>is barely changed since YEARS (can't get much stabler than that) -- and
>quite easy for elementary tasks, too.
>
>If you'd asked for looks, speed, screenpainters & suchlike tools, or
>functional richness (particularly in terms of variety of widgets), the
>answer might be different (and Qt, wx or GTK might then be preferred).
>

>Alex

I would have to say that although Tkinter is easy to use, the look and
feel of the finished product is a little agricultural, particularly on
the Windows platform.  If you can stretch a little, then I would go
for wxPython which has a richer set of widgets and looks much more
professional.  I have written a couple of apps with Tkinter and moved
on to wx.  I have been much more satisfied with the final appearance
of the wx apps.
--
Simon Foster
Somewhere in the West of England