Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Fri Oct 10 19:57:52 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
>>>programming languages are NOT "mathematics", as some claim -- they
>>>are engineering designs, and interact with human minds, sociology
>>>of groups, cultural and educational features, at least as much as
>>>they interact with the architecture and capabilities of computers.
>>
>>I definitely agree. Computer science is more a sociological science than
>>a natural science IMHO.
>

> Amen, hallelujah.  So, since I've decided to limit my participation in this
> thread to c.l.python, would you kindly set right the guys (such as your
> namesake) who (on c.l.lisp with copy to my mailbox but not to here) are
> currently attacking me because, and I quote,
> """
> Software is a department of mathematics.
> """
> ...?

The context in which this statement was made is not clear to me, so I
don't know what I would actually defend.

I haven't followed all branches of the thread, and the posting that
contains that statement is a reaction to an analogy that I think is not
a good one. I don't want to dive further into this specific branch. Sorry.

Pascal