Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue Oct 7 17:08:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:59:11 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> When you have macros such as loop that allow you to write stuff like:
>
> (loop for  color in '(blue white red)
[...]

Well, some people say the "loop" syntax is not very lispish - it's unusual
that it uses many words and few parentheses. It still uses only words and
parentheses, no other punctuation, and it introduces one pair of parentheses
for its one nesting level.

A richer alphabet is often more readable. Morse code can't be read as fast
as Latin alphabet because it uses too few different symbols. Japanese say
they won't abandon Kanji because it's more readable as soon as you know it -
you don't have to compose words from many small pieces which look alike
but each word is distinct. Of course *too* large alphabet requires long
learning and has technical difficulties, but Lisp expressions are too
little distinctive for my taste.

I know I can implement infix operators with Lisp macros, but I even don't
know how they feel because nobody uses them (do I have to explicitly open
infix region and explicitly escape from it to regular syntax?), and
arithmetic is not enough. All Lisp code I've read uses lots of parentheses
and they pile up at the end of each large subexpression so it's hard to
match them (an editor is not enough, it won't follow my eyes and won't
work with printed code).

Syntax is the thing I like the least in Lisp & Scheme.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/