Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Pascal Bourguignon spam at thalassa.informatimago.com
Tue Oct 7 15:59:11 EDT 2003

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> writes:
> The main disadvantage of macros is that they either force the syntax
> to look like Lisp, or the way to present code snippets to macros is
> complicated (Template Haskell), or they are as limited as C preprocessor
> (which can't examine parameters).
>
> I find the Lisp syntax hardly readable when everything looks alike,
> mostly words and parentheses, and when every level of nesting requires
> parens. I understand that it's easier to work with by macros, but it's
> harder to work with by humans like I.

I don't understand what you're complaining about.

When you have macros such as loop that allow you to write stuff like:

(loop for  color in '(blue white red)
      with crosses = :crosses
      collect  (rgb color) into rgb-list
      maximize (blue-component color) into max-blue
      until (color-pleases-user color)
      finally return (vlues color rgb-list max-blue))

where are the parentheses at EVERY level you're complaining about?
where is the lisp-like syntax?

Lisp is  not commie-stuff,  nobody forces you  to program  your macros
following any hypothetical party line.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/