GUI-based build system

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Fri Oct 31 05:47:45 EST 2003

Hi,

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> Thanks. I just took a quick look at Ant. Ant comes closer than SCons,
> and it's a good thing that they allow external tasks. I need to look
> at it a bit more. But I think that at this moment, building a generic
> Python-based system from scratch seems to be the way to go. Java is
> not the right language. I'd choose Perl over Java for system tasks,
> and Python over Perl.

In what detail does it come closer than SCons, if you want it be in Python?

Before doing something from scratch, I'd certainly investigate how to
build it on top of SCons. It seems very well-thought-out and stable and
also mature. Consider that the project lead has several years of
experience (with the Perl-based Cons tool) and that the design of SCons
actually won the Software Carpentry contest.

Also, don't be fooled in thinking that SCons is only the command line
tool. You can use the underlying library fully independent of the SCons
command line machinery to build your GUI tool.

Just my 2 cent.

hth

Werner