GUI-based build system

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 13:27:07 EST 2003

Joe Francia <usenet at soraia.com> wrote in message news:<kVVnb.3904673$Bf5.530974 at news.easynews.com>...

> You may want to look at Ant. ( http://ant.apache.org ) Ant is a free,
> Java-based make tool (probably usable from Jython), but "without make's
> wrinkles".  It can do anything Java can do, such as send an email at the
> end of the process.  It uses XML as the project makefiles.

Thanks. I just took a quick look at Ant. Ant comes closer than SCons,
and it's a good thing that they allow external tasks. I need to look
at it a bit more. But I think that at this moment, building a generic
Python-based system from scratch seems to be the way to go. Java is
not the right language. I'd choose Perl over Java for system tasks,
and Python over Perl.

One more observation is: tasks in build systems are particularly
suitable for Aspect-Oriented Programming features. So, there may be a
point to start everything from scratch to incorporate new approaches.

regards,

Hung Jung