Problems with a programme called CyberChair

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 9 13:17:29 EDT 2003

The Doctor wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:21:18PM +0200, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> > The Doctor wrote:
> > > Hello.  I am running a Python-based programme called cyberChair.
> >
> > This newsgroup/mailinglist is about programming in Python, not about
> > application written in Python. It is unlikely that we are able to
> > help you. You may want to contact the author of cyberChair with your
> > problem.
>
> Question: How do you debug procedures in python?

The same way you debug procedures in many other languages.

(If you ask such a general question, you can expect such a general
answer, or a lot of shots-in-the-dark as people attempt to read your
mind.)

If this is in reference to your original question, you might want
to consider whether there's a remote chance that, maybe, this isn't
a Python issue, but something to do with your server permissions or
whatnot...

For further help, check out the "pdb" module for the Python debugger.
Also consider inserting "print" statements to help you understand
where the problem is occurring.

Inserting this code snippet just before the faulty code can help:

 import pdb
 pdb.set_trace()

That way you get dropped into the interactive debugger and can
single-step through the rest of the code, etc.

-Peter