Remote Win32 Registry confusion?

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn.pettersen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 25 17:14:38 EDT 2003

benjamin schollnick <bscholln at mac.com> wrote in
news:251020030643384444%bscholln at mac.com:

> Folks,
>
> I am having difficulty with *reading* the registry from a remote
> Windows box...

I've only done this once, a long time ago, and the ability has been severly
limited since then by an MS service pack (you should have seen the security
admin's face when I changed his path variable remotely without a trace ;-)

> 1) I need to impersonate a different user name & password, then the
> user I
> am currently logged in as.
>    (i.e. access the registry as a administrator)

You'll at least need to log in to the domain to get your security token,
then use that to impersonate that user.

> 2) The registry to be examined is on a different machine...

Verify that this isn't turned off by either that machine or a group policy.

> 3) I just need the key entry returned....

key entry == value(?)

-- bjorn