which lisp book ?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 25 09:35:19 EDT 2003

david emile lamy wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
>

>>Hello everybody,
>>
>>Python people seems to be talking about lisp all the time,
>>so I got somewhat interested and subscribed to this newsgroup.
>>(Here, Python seems to be discussed, too)
>>
>>So, what's so common between python and lisp? To me (I know
>>absolutely nothing about lisp) they sure seem _very_ different.

This bit argues that they are very similar:

    http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html

This bit just compares them, finding similarities and differences:

    http://alu.cliki.net/Comparing%20Lisp%20and%20Python

>>Maybe I should learn Lisp a little to find out. So, I found an
>>online book 'OnLisp' by Paul Graham, but it says, I need to know
>>some lisp to understand it. Can anyone suggest any _short_ online
>>Common Lisp book that will teach me enough CLISP to be able to
>>understand 'OnLisp' ? (I already know C & Python)

Not sure if you already know this, but CLisp is just one implementation
out of many of Common Lisp, which is abbreviated CL.

As for on-line stuff, did you make it to this page, half-way down?:

    http://www.lisp.org/table/learn.htm

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: