Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Mon Oct 20 08:31:02 EDT 2003

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz at web.de> writes:

> I'd really like to see a Lisp dialect that valued reliability over
> raw expressive power. But I fear this isn't very high on the agenda
> of the Lisp community.

>From someone who just sentences ago admitted to having no practical
experience with Common Lisp, this is an amazingly misinformed and
confused statement.

> In other words: Lisp is too powerful and dangerous, [..]

I have never, ever, over the years I've been using lisp myself and
talked to others who are using it, observed any such problem.

If you are afraid of method combination, then just don't use it. I can
guarantee you that it will not jump at you from some dark cave when
you least expect it, ripping your heart out with razor-sharp
claws. Actually, it's more like a well-trained, domesticated dog: When
you tell it to play dead, you won't know it's there until you
explicitly bring it to life. The same goes for most other features you
might find intimidating.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld