Issues migrating from Solaris to RedHat 9?

Tom Loredo loredo at somewhere.cornell.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:12:17 EDT 2003

Hi folks-

I'm about to move from a Solaris 8/SPARC environment to a Dell running
RedHat 9.  Are there any issues I need to be aware of in bringing my
Python code over (mostly scientific computation)?  In particular, I know
earlier versions of RH shipped with an "old" Python installed as "python"
and that installation of more recent versions should not overwrite
"python" (e.g., install as "python2.3").  Is this still the case in RH9?
Any other issues?  I will be simultaneously developing for multiple
platforms, so avoiding something like having to have "/bin/env python2.3"
at the top of scripts is highly desirable.

Also, if I send scripts to other RH users, will there be issues
(in particular with RH8, since that is still widely used)?

Thanks,
Tom Loredo

--

To respond by email, replace "somewhere" with "astro" in the
return address.