How do you make Python reliable???

Dave shuvit at 127.0.0.1
Thu Oct 30 06:43:55 EST 2003

"Aubrey Hutchison" <abhjrpe at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:DZGdnfzNJ7uTBD2iRVn-vQ at comcast.com...
> Using Python 2,3,2 with idle for developing programs
> about 200 lines long. - Problem is not common to any specific program.
> Program are rather simple with no trick programming. Usually no classes
but
> a few functions using math module with long integers.
>
> Usually for the first few tryout everything works fine and
> then idle locks "out" windows xp pro..  I can run other programs, but
> clicking on idle icon gets me an hour glass for a few moments and then
goes
> away.
>
> Acts like I filled up memory but with 1 gig that should not
> be a problem.
>
> Word, Acad, quickbasic, and anyother program will work when python starts
> doing this lock out. But python will not work.  Killing the computer is
the
> usual way out of the problem.
>
> Shuting down just get me a dialog window telling me to click to shut down
> windowmenu.  Which only gets me the
> same dialog a few moment later.
>
> Full power off is usually the only way, and at time upon reboot -the same
> will continue.
>
> When this happens I can load a game, Acad or word which work as they
should.

> When this starts I get an indication the idle is not responding and I kill
> it with the status panel.Some times this happens only once but usually it
> ends up as a lock out.

Try a fresh install of Python and keep notes on everything.  This seems like
some of the problems I had after installing an earlier development version
of IDLE.  The release merged into 2.3 has been flawless, however, on both my
Windows XP and Redhat LInux 8 machines.

My Windows setup seems similar to yours.  Windows XP Pro with the latest
MIcrosoft updates.  Norton Anti Virus.  Python-2.3.1.exe downloaded from
www.python.org  on 9/30/03 and installed without a snag.  At this moment, I
am runnng Eudora, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Outlook Newsreader,
and Microsoft Word, and I just started IDLE from the Start menu item that
was installed by the Python-2.3.1.exe file.

Python 2.3.1 (#47, Sep 23 2003, 23:47:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
[...]
IDLE 1.0
>>> import sys
>>> sys.version
'2.3.1 (#47, Sep 23 2003, 23:47:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]'
>>> for i in range(100): print i,
... prints 100 numbers in less than a second.

The interaction between the shell and an editing window opened from the
shell's File - Open menu is very smooth.  The path of the selected file is
automatically pre-pended to sys.path, so we no longer have the tedious
process of adding this by hand.

I've been searching long and hard for the right cross-platform IDE, and IDLE
has more than met my expectations.  Hang in there, it is worth the effort.

-- Dave