Why don't people like lisp?

Jon S. Anthony j-anthony at rcn.com
Fri Oct 24 13:29:06 EDT 2003

"Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> writes:

> I'm all for more elaborate gc schemes.  In particular, I want one
> that gives me guaranteed immediate destructors even in the presence
> of reference cycles.  And I want to language specification to
> guarantee it.

It's difficult to even put a requirement for "gc" in a language
_specification_ let alone one that _guarantees_ this sort of thing.

> Having to explicitly close files is something I'd expect in C or
> assembly, but it has no place in high-level languages.  And
> "with-open-file" is too limiting.  Let the computer do the work, not
> the programmer.

What's limiting about it?  Or are you saying you want the computer (or
I suppose the language spec) to somehow also open your files for you
as well?  What would that even mean?  If you don't require that, then
you have to explicitly ask for the file to be opened.  Well, that's
what with-open-file is.

/Jon