Why don't people like lisp?

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Fri Oct 24 13:26:54 EDT 2003

"Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> writes:

> I'm all for more elaborate gc schemes.  In particular, I want one
> that gives me guaranteed immediate destructors even in the presence
> of reference cycles.  And I want to language specification to
> guarantee it.
>
> Having to explicitly close files is something I'd expect in C or
> assembly, but it has no place in high-level languages.  And
> "with-open-file" is too limiting.  Let the computer do the work, not
> the programmer.

This is the problem with languages that are part excellent and part
work in progress (read: crap). You learn to trust the language from
using the excellent parts (which tend to be the basic things you first
encounter), and when you eventually stumble upon the not-so-great
parts you trust those parts, too. It's extremely unfortunate, IMHO.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld