Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:15:21 EDT 2003

"Kenny Tilton" <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Jsmhb.27968$pv6.19754 at twister.nyc.rr.com...

> > You mean like Psyco?
> >
> > Been there, done that. (and it's great, and getting better).
>
> Oh, excellent name.

PYthon Specializing COmpiler, slightly permuted.  Also somehow apt for
something that dynamically compiles bytecode to type-specific machine
code.  Many of us did not quite believe it until the pudding was
cooked.

> OK, the context was "what are Python's aspirations?"
> . Is Python now no longer content to be a (very powerful) scripting
> language?

Prime focus is still correct and readable code with execution speed
somewhat secondary but not ignored.  The interpreter slowly speeds up;
more compiled C extension modules appear; other compilation options
appear; and 3 gig processors run Python about as fast as P125s did
with compiled C.

> Or is it just tired of being ragged on for being slow?

I suspect that that pushes a bit too, but I can't speak for anyone in
particular.

Terry J. Reedy