Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Mon Oct 13 13:03:18 EDT 2003

[following up to comp.lang.python and comp.lang.lisp]

Alex Martelli writes:

> necessarily yield optimal productivity in programming.  What
> language design trade-offs WILL yield such optimal productivity,
> *DEPENDING* on the populations and tasks involved, is the crux
> of this useless and wearisome debate (wearisome and useless, in
> good part, because many, all it seems to me on the lisp side,
> appear to refuse to admit that there ARE trade-offs and such
> dependencies on tasks and populations).

I agree (Lisp side).

> The only example of 'power' I've seen (besides the infamous
> with-condition-maintained example) are such trifles as debugging-
> output macros that may get compiled out when a global flag to
> disable debugging is set -- exactly the kind of micro-optimization

If you are interested in advanced uses of Common Lisp macros, you may
have a look at Paul Graham's book "On Lisp", which is available for
download at his site. Other examples are probably in the Screamer
system by Jeffrey Mark Siskind.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it>