Regular expression code implementation review between Tcl vs Python

K_Lee Google_Post at slink-software.com
Wed Nov 12 00:29:54 EST 2003

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3fdsb.10497$hV.431113 at news2.tin.it>...
> K_Lee wrote:
> > One aspect I don't understanding about python is that the Python
> > language itself is object oriented and all the internal is implement
> > as C object.   Why not C++ object?
>
> Using an OO language doesn't necessarily make implementing another
> OO language any easier, when the object models are mismatched (and
> they almost invariably are).  Look at other opensource OO languages,
> such as Ruby, and you'll see they also use C, not C++.
>
> Actually, a small and carefully selected subset of C++ might surely help,
> _if_ there was consensus on what that subset should be and net of
> the work of hashing that consensus out.  But C++ just isn't very much
> in the opensource culture -- C is just much more popular.  Eric Raymond's
> book "The Art of Unix Programming" doesn't address the issue directly but
> much of what it says about "Unix culture" extends directly to opensource
> (as he notes, too).  There are such values as an admiration for simplicity
> (cfr. C's principle, as per the Rationale of the C Standard, "provide only
> one way to perform an operation", and Python's corresponding "there ought
> to be one, and preferably only one, obvious way to do it") which militate in
> favour of C (which may not have reached simplicity everywhere but surely
> did and does always strive for it) and against C++ (which never gave
> language-simplicity a high priority level among its many design goals); even
> in subcultures that overtly reject such principles (e.g., Perl's) they may
> still have some subconscious-level effect.
>
> I used to bemoan this back when I was a C++ not-quite-but-close-guru.
> 3 years later, with little use of C++ in the meantime, I have forgotten more
> about C++ than most of it practitioners will ever learn... but C is just
> never forgotten, like how to swim or how to ride a bicycle.  So, I am not
> any longer so sure if my "bemoaning" was warranted.
>

> Alex

Alex,

It is sad but true.

One c++ project (was commercial, now open source) I found
that is very interesting to read/browse is the chorus. It is micro-kernel
os where everything is a class/object including threads, pagetable, scheduler.
Very interesting.  Unfortunately, it seems to be dying when compare to
BSD, Linux.

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SrcDoc_Top/chorus_c5/chorus_c5.sdoc/N_59

What's nice about python's internal is that it is very clean
and well structure with object orient mind set.

K Lee