PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Jim Bublitz jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com
Tue Nov 18 11:17:32 EST 2003

John J. Lee wrote:

> Jim Bublitz <jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com> writes:

>> Jim Bublitz wrote:
> [...]
>> Following up on my own message, David Boddie has just released
>> PyKDE addons for doing KParts, KDE Control Center Modules and
> [...]
>> This will still require installing sip/PyQt/PyKDE but looks
>> like it will be maintained separate from the normal PyKDE
>> distribution.

> Not *another* package!  Qt, sip, PyQt, PyKDE, and now this...
> (not to mention Qwt and PyQwt, if you use those).  Couldn't you
> combine the packages, at least after Paul's package settles
> down a bit?

You left out eric :)

The logic of separating the packages (beyond making them easier
to build) goes like this: sip is a general purpose C++ -> Python
bindings generator and run-time and while it has enhancements
for PyQt, doesn't require PyQt. A lot of people who use PyQt
have no desire to use PyKDE or PyQwt (or PyQt + PyQwt but not
PyKDE). There are a lot of PyQt users running Windows and OSX
support is in place for sip/PyQt 4, which is in pre-release.
Probably most people using PyKDE won't want to write KParts or
other plugin type stuff. PyQt and PyKDE also have fairly long
compile times, or when packaged as binaries, are usually split
into pieces themselves (eg PyQt, PyQt-devel, etc).

The other consideration is that each of the packages is developed
mostly independently and while there is a lot of communication
between us, we all have conflicting goals, schedules and
development styles. Right now the binaries are also produced
independent of the developers as well.

There are probably more packages coming over the next year, too.

Jim