PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

email9898989 at yahoo.com email9898989 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 14:06:10 EST 2003

Jim Bublitz <jbublitzno at spamnwinternet.com> wrote in message news:<fF8ub.5379$7h1.1607448720 at twister2.starband.net>...
> > I guess the simplest explanation is that if you have anything
> > to do with Windows or if you want to sell your software, you
> > have to pay for TrollTech's Qt and PyQt (minimum $400 for
> > BlackAdder).
>
> > The only way it is free to use it is if you are developing on
> > Linux, distributing only to Linux users, and not charging for
> > your software.
>
> Qt for Linux is GPL'd, so nothing prevents you from selling your
> software for Linux - you do have to provide source code though
> and can't charge for Qt/PyQt/etc.

Sorry I wasn't crystal clear.  If you plan to develop commercial
software on any platform, you have to pay for Qt.  I was trying to
make their pricing schemes more easy for people to understand.

> > - With KParts and KDE applications, you can embed other
> > components (like a web browser or spreadsheet) into your own
> > app, although PyKDE does not yet support this.
>
> PyKDE has been able to import KParts for at least a year. PyKDE
> currently doesn't allow you to export (author) KParts in Python,
> although the ability to do this is essentially complete and
> mostly just needs to be integrated with the PyKDE distribution.

I know, I was meaning create KParts.  The point is that PyQt & PyKDE
can do on Linux everything wxPython can do on Windows, and more (using
Qt Designer, and soon creating KParts with PyQt).
But if you want to develop for both platforms, you can either use
wxPython for free, but it uses GTK on Linux instead of Qt, or pay for
Qt on Windows, the commercial version of which can embed ActiveX
controls on Windows too.