AI and cognitive psychology rant

socraticquest socraticquest at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:11:16 EST 2003

Stephen Horne <steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bhsnpv4l59f2tt5njsvap5oie6dqmbm148 at 4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:57:33 -0500, Arthur <ajs at optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >If the machine is not at least potentially subject to fits of raging
> >paranoia, its probably programmed wrong.  If it is, what have we
> >accomplished?
>
> From what I can see, the human set of emotions are an integrated
> system 'designed' (in the evolutionary sense) to achieve a purpose.
> Being intelligent does not imply being paranoid, jealous, etc etc.
>
> Of course when machines have to deal with conflicts of interest (and
> when they have interests of their own to deal with) it might turn out
> that emotions rather similar to the human ones work well (or at least
> as well as the human ones do).
>
> After all, rage has a purpose. As us passive Asperger syndrome
> sufferers know very well, a very delicate balance of anger is needed
> to succeed in society. If you are not sufficiently angry when you
> should be, you are an easy target for bullying and exploitation. And
> of course when the last straw breaks the camels back, when that
> expression "beware the wrath of a quiet man" suddenly becomes
> relevant, you just end up looking like you get angry for no reason.

MODERATE LENGTH RESPONSE:

How are adults with Asperger Syndrome in this newsgroup managing
career development agendas?

As an adult with Asperger Syndrome (AS) (diagnosed in my early
thirties), I'm highlighting my experience with "vocational
development" programs, as well as how future agendas must be shaped.

Adults with (AS) have naturally fallen into a "never-never land of
sorts" of "not able enough, yet not disabled enough" of usually quite
capable people; who find even a slight emphasis on disabilities quite
inappropriate.

As a result of high unemployment amongst the disabled, in addition to
a weak-economy, many people with Asperger Syndrome (AS) feel
overwhelmed, and discouraged. "Abilities first" agendas must encompass
"novel" approaches to economic development.

One example: If successful economic development programs succeed
through applying creative approaches, and supporting entrepreneurial
efforts (in addition to employment development) in economically
depressed regions (that have even included good examples in developing
countries), than why can't parallels be drawn to assisting disabled
people?

Adults with (AS) must benefit from progressive approaches; which can
triumph over a "tired old" conservative status-quo; long the domains
of rigid bureaucracies, ignorance, and even immediate family who
naturally act more out of sentiment, and not enough out of reason!

Simply put, the "status-quo" behind many "job-programs" fails to be in
parity with the very complexities of economics, and economic
development; which are behind jobs! "The worst things to do in a poor
economy!"

What has been your experience addressing conferences, and professional
associations; whose audience consists of employment counselors?

With budgetary-shortfalls, and a weak economy, are more and more
employment-development programs convinced that they must undergo major
changes?

Too many clients of job-development programs realize that these
programs are too elementary, and outdated in scope. As a result,
people become frustrated and worn-down by "the system;" with little or
no gain in employment prospects.

Many "job-programs" refuse to take progressive-approaches to
job-development, and instead "use some expedient as a crutch!!" For
example, job counselors are quick to respond by pointing-out that,
"such-and-such" "is not MY job, or is not THEIR job", or simply
excuses regarding time-constraints e.g., "I don't have the time, THEY
don't have the time." And oh yes, "a clear emphasis on caseloads that
resembles a triage."

I had confronted my "job developers" with these concerns, but to no
avail.

Furthermore, some of these programs deliberately prolong client cases
in order to receive additional funds from the government; practices
THAT MUST BE DISCOURAGED.

Just to remain impartial, many people e.g., long-term unemployed,
disabled have been successfully assisted by elementary job-development
programs.

JOB DEVELOPMENT THAT WORKS:

For people who have the least-need for generic job-development; yet
still need assistance, counselors must refer clients to vocational
education programs; the best programs are supported through local, and
regional initiatives e.g., public-private partnerships.

Opportunities are developed through mentoring, apprenticeships, and
excellent placement services. The purpose here is to keep people who
have had industry-specific experience "in the loop!" After all,
"Doesn't this constitute the best means toward employment (and
entrepreneurial development)?" "For example, my certifications in
digital publishing (graphic arts), and online research experience
applies here!"

BTW: I have interests in artifical-intelligence, and data
visualization applications being extended to personal computers, and
Internet media.

Yet, again, too many programs are orientated around some outdated
expedient. The 1973 Rehabilitation Act is one of many examples. The
1973 Act is too quick to view telecommuting as normalizing the very
isolation that the 1973 law was intended to overcome.

Isolation is not the intent of telecommuting, the reasons for
considering work with distant employers are quite simple;
opportunities in one's chosen vocations can be both limited, and
competitive in their local regions.

With more and more work being done through telecommuting,
telecommuting experience may even help develop (physical-location)
opportunities.

"Isn't the Internet supposed to help people, and economies alike rise
above those barriers known as limitations, and the status-quo??

While I was in these "job programs," I had expressed the need for
career-development that was orientated around involvement from private
industry! Again, these "job counselors" refused to show interest! One
of the counselors even told me that "it scared them" to hear these
concerns coming from a client! I had finally "given-up" with the
California Dept. of Rehabilitation.

Let's not waste taxpayer's money on programs that are also a waste of
people's time and energy. Model vocational programs work best by
overlooking any mention of disabilities! In other words, the time has
come to challenge the "status-quo" and allow "out of the box"
approaches to triumph!

FUTURE AGENDAS

Ironically, "well meaning" people like family were the very people who
suggested these "vocational development" programs. As a result, I feel
increased concerns regarding how future agendas e.g., estate-planning
will be handled.

In other words, how do I convey my concerns; without being
misconstrued to immediate family?

An advisor (a family friend) is willing to act on my behalf, after
parents are deceased. My advisor (whose careers are in public
education, and higher education) is located in a region that has a
high concentration of adults with (AS); the Silicon Valley near San
Jose, CA. Quite a few of the technical experts, who work in that
region's tech industries, were found to have (AS).

Since (AS) can be hereditary, I expect that my advisor will gain an
increasing awareness of adults with (AS) through their kids' diagnoses
of (AS).

Can adults with AS expect to fully maintain independence; while
getting assistance (on an as needed basis) that avoids being intrusive
on the individual?

Anybody in this newsgroup benefit from these progressive approaches
that I advocate?

Thank-you