another candidate for deprecation (was: Why shouldinput(prompt="hello:") fail?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 25 11:53:06 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     >> Note however that input() is a poor choice for serious work: you
>     >> should quickly get past the point of wanting to use it and learn why
>     >> raw_input() is a better choice.
>
>     Michele> Very true. Is "input" a candidate for deprecation in 3.0?  If
>     Michele> not, here I give my vote to put "input" in the black list ;)
>
> Even better, deprecate input() and rename raw_input() to input()...

If you mean do those two things at the same time, you've just deprecated the
use of "input" and then provided only a routine named "input"...

And if you mean to separate them with one release to give time for the
deprecation notice to spread around, you'll just confuse people when you
then add "input" back in, but with different functionality.

(I agree with the idea of reusing the name input() for the One True Input
Routine, but not with deprecating anything as it will just confuse the issue.)

-Peter