Rekall and associated software go 100% GPL

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sun Nov 9 21:54:40 EST 2003

"John Dean" <john at rygannon.com> wrote in message news:<3fae9c76$0$12714$fa0fcedb at lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...

I just downloaded the "full" package for windows.
And i have the following questions/annotations:

1) There is still a "Trial Version" screen, telling me that i have 7
days
   for evaluation. The 'Order' button takes me to your site.

2) The program is installed in the "Program Files/theKompany/Rekall"
Folder.
   So this looks like a "theKompany" product. The About Window says:

     RekallQT: A QT database front end
     Release 2.1.0
     (c) 2000,2001,2002,2003
     by theKompany.com

3) Where is the Source Code ? I only see compiled DLL files and can't
find
   a link to a source code download on your site. So even if you don't
break
   theKompany's copyright, you break the GPL.
   The "License" section in the About  Window also don't show the GPL,
but the
   old license from TheKompany.com

4) The Application crashs every time i want to access my MySQL
database
   (listing the tables).
   It seems that there is no crash management that gives me more
information.
   Right ? How can i send you bugreports on a crash without this ?

So all together it does not look very promising. Having bugs in your
application is one thing, but it looks that your move to GPL is simply
a rewording on your webpage. This looks like an adhoc change and don't
give me the feeling that i can trust in your words about the
copyright.