OT Re: Matrix - Metaphors, Analogies and the REAL

John Burns joobs at grizo.free-onlineNOJUNK.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 20:18:21 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:09:28 +0000, Gonçalo Rodrigues wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2003 06:17:33 +0100, "John Burns"
> <joobs at grizo.free-onlineNOJUNK.co.uk> wrote:

> >>     I find your lack of faith disturbing.
> >>
> >Nah, it is those with faith who are disturbing (or maybe disturbed  :) ) since
> >they are willing to forego any evidence or logic to the contrary in defence of
> >and to keep their "faith".
>
> As one of those with faith, and by your definition possibly disturbed, I
> find it very amusing that you do not read your own words. Maybe it takes
> faith to apprehend certain ironies. Or be disturbed.

I take it you meant comprehend not apprehend and to an extent I'd agree but it
is more likely (and more usual) for faith to be used as an excuse not to accept
the facts which belie one's beliefs not as an aid to understanding. In regard to
the Matrix the only person qualified to speak of its analogies and metaphorical
content is its writer, all others who make such comment are doing so without any
real authority. There are numerous examples of song and film which have had such
"discussion" by fans only for the original author to later state that he had
intended no such meaning. They still believe though and that's the really sad
part.

Anyway I don't really care if you wish to believe or not that wasn't what I
objected to but rather to Tim posting OT yet again. He is just a pest on every
group which he has infected with his presence.

> And I'm out of this thread.

Bye