Ques From CS Grad Student

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Fri Nov 28 05:02:38 EST 2003

suenacita1 wrote:
> 1. How many members are involved directly, and how many peripherally?

You can find the answer to this question on SourceForge. When you go to
the Python Sourceforge Project Space, you can find a list with all
people with CVS write access, and a list with core developers. I think
the former are approx. 40 and the latter 6, but I'm not sure, you can
look at the list on SF.

> 2. What do you use to drive releases?
> 3. How often does the project release major and minor revisions?

The answer to these questions can be found in the Misc/NEWS file and the
Misc/HISTORY files in the tarball. You may also look in various PEP's.
Since Python 2.0, the roadmaps per minor version are included in a PEP.
Skim the PEP list for release dates of various Python versions. And I
think there is a list somewhere in the documentation as well - but I'm
not sure about that. You can also search the c.l.py.announce archive.

> 4. What tools do they use to manage the source?

Not sure what you mean by this. The source tree is managed with cvs, but
the editors used vary per developer.

> 5. How does the Python project resolve conflicts between members?

Guido van Rossum is the BDFL, he usually has the last word.

yours,
Gerrit.

--
232. If it ruin goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been
ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he