python a bust?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 14:14:28 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> Unfortunately I am in Italy now, and we don't have Amazon.it or
> something equivalent yet (I am hoping I am wrong ...)

No, you're not.  We do have place such as gorilla.it for online books.  Not
particularly good.

But this (theoretically freemarket...) government passed a law forbidding
discounts of more than 15% on books, basically to impede the chances of
supermarket chains (such as Coop) and large bookstore chains (such as
Feltrinelli), which happen to be mostly left-ish wing, to compete with
small independent bookstores, which happen to be mostly right-ish wing.  As
a side effect the chance of there ever being an amazon.it was destroyed.

Try amazon.de, .fr or .uk if you're in a hurry -- I normally still order at
amazon.com, wait a while, but get a bargain despite mail costs, and good
and wide choice too.

Alex