python a bust?

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 05:49:23 EST 2003

"Michele Simionato" <mis6 at pitt.edu> wrote in message

> It is quite sterile to complain against things we have no real
> way to control.

True... but in most cases we're making an Existential choice about our
willingness to control.  We are not in fact helpless.  Such is the case with
Python.  If you want to actually do something about marketing Python "like
the big boys do," I encourage you to join the marketing-python forum.

Fair warning: you are going to hear a lot of people talking in circles.  You
are only going to get things done if you are the kind of person who will
take a bull by the horns and actually get things done, even / especially
when others are yapping mindlessly and endlessly.  Commercial outfits have
significant advantages over volunteer outfits when it comes to marketing:
they can order people to march in a particular direction, pay people lotsa
money to follow the orders, and fire them if they don't comply.  Still...
commercial outfits are hardly immune to Dilbertism, but the high tech
landscape is dominated by companies like Microsoft who are not prone to
Dilbertism in their approaches to marketing.

> We can only wait and see (as in that old chinese said ...)

Chinese philosophies, at least as received by Westerners looking for
alternatives to their high stress culture, often have the flaw of being too
Yin.  The Tao is balance, not passivity.

--
Cheers,                          www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every                Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."