Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Sun Nov 9 10:13:46 EST 2003

> I won't use any editing environment that doesn't have a text-only version.

Your call, of course.

I just found the following at:

http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/curses/

[quote]
In a world of X displays, one might ask ``why bother''? It's true that
character-cell display terminals are an obsolete technology, but there are
niches in which being able to do fancy things with them are still valuable.
One is on small-footprint or embedded Unixes that don't carry an X server.
Another is for tools like OS installers and kernel configurators that may
have to run before X is available.
[end quote]

It seems to me that simulating Leo on a character-cell display is going to
be all work and no gain.  I have no interest in designing a dumbed-down
model for Leo that would work in paleolithic environments.  Besides, Emacs
probably has a curses mode.  Why would I want to compete with that?

So I am not going to do a text-only mode for Leo unless somebody comes up
with a pretty good reason why Leo would be an appropriate tool in
non-windowing environments.  Starting up Leo in script mode is still on the
to-do list.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines