Looking for an http proxy server written in Python

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 19 09:29:12 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, it was written:

> I sometimes use Amit Patel's proxy3 for web surfing, but I don't know
> if I'd call it production quality because it's so slow.  I don't know
> if anything can be done about that, because Python itself is pretty
> slow.  You may need to bite the bullet and use Squid or the Apache
> proxy module or something like that.  I've had reasonable success
> hacking various html rewriting features into the Apache module when
> such things were needed.

I may have a look at Squid and mod_proxy (and Jigsaw to boot) at some
point.  I'm not as worried about speed as I am about choking on requests
that can't be handled.  I'm not trying to do the processing in real time;
that is, the results of the processing don't have to be available to the
client in real time.

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris