python-dev Summary for 2003-10-16 through 2003-11-15

Brett C. brett at python.org
Fri Nov 28 15:54:23 EST 2003

> > This is the twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth summaries written by Brett
> > Cannon (does anyone even read this?).
>
> This is a long-overdue note of tremendous thanks to you (and any others
> who went before you) for keeping this summary going.

First off, thanks to not only you, Tim, but  to everyone else who
posted a supportive message to me.  It means so much to me when people
send me an email saying that they read the Summaries and find them
helpful.  Since I have no legitimate way of tracking readership I have
to just assume people read the darn things and find them informative.

> I'm a long-standing
> Python user and, while I'm not likely to get directly involved in its
> development, it's of both technical and general interest to see what's
> going on and what's being said on the development lists.

I have to admit one of the reasons I keep writing the Summaries is in
hopes of getting more people involved in Python development.  The
longer I stay on python-dev the more I learn and thus marginalize
somewhat my personal gain from writing the Summaries in terms of
technical learning.  But I get a personal gain in terms of knowing I
am helping out Python by helping the community and the ultimate gain
would not only be to get someone to start using Python, but to cause
someone to help improve the language in some way.

> The level is
> just right for me: informative without too much detail.

Thanks for saying that.  I often struggle with how much technical
detail I should stick in there and how much I should assume.  Usually
if I don't explain something well enough someone on python-dev catches
it through my drafts that I post to the list (and a personal thanks
from me to Raymond Hettinger for proof-reading practically every
summary I write from top to bottom very thoroughly).

> Please keep it up!

I plan to.  =)

-Brett