PyCon Wiki: tender loving care needed

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 26 01:06:34 EST 2003

Hello. You may be wondering about PyCon DC 2004, the media having been
noticeably quiet on the topic recently. You should be seeing an announcement
about registration Real Soon Now. The chairman is a real slacker, so nothing
much has happened yet ;-)

In the meantime, for those of you who might be wondering "what can *little
old me* do to help the Python community?", there's a major opportunity going
begging in the PyCon section of the python.org wiki. If you donn't know
anything about wikis, you could do worse than take a look at

    http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

The PyCon section of the python.org wiki really starts, I suppose, at

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyCon

The trouble is that there's a good amount of material about *this* year's
conference, which we need to archive in some relatively organized way and
then get ready for the exciting stuff that's going to happen *next* year.

The nature of wiki is particularly anarchic, which appeals to some and
appalls others. If you find the idea appealling rather than appalling I'd be
very grateful if you would become a PyConWikiGnome (see
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiGnome) - this would be an invaluable service to
the community, with the advantage that it requires more everyday skills than
those of the megaprogrammers who normally inhabit these corridors. So if
you're looking for some way to help but don't feel you know enough about
Python, here's a job that mostly needs editing and organizational skills.
Please help if you can. Yes, this *does* mean you.

See you at PyCon DC 2004, I hope, for more fun and lots of Python.

regards